Quinta da Bela Vista details
This award-winning hotel has got it all – colonial charm, luxurious rooms and gourmet restaurants.
This place has been a World Travel Award winner for the last four years, so you know you’re in for something special. Tucked up in the mountains and surrounded by 20,000 square metres of sub-tropical gardens, it’s got one of the best settings on the island.
A tree-lined driveway leads you to the hotel, a whitewashed mansion graced with wooden shutters and wrought-iron balconies. The place dates back to the 19th-century, and inside you’ll find plenty in the way of character and tradition. Think old wooden staircases, china-filled cabinets and candlelit corridors.
Step into the bedrooms and there’s more of the same. Floral-print soft furnishings and Victorian-style furniture give a nod to days gone by, while marble bathrooms add a luxurious touch. Plus you’ve got mod-cons in the form of air-conditioning and Cable TVs.
Outside, a big swimming pool is hidden away among lawns, fountains and flower-lined pathways. Smart wooden loungers line up along a wide sun terrace, offering up great views of the surrounding countryside. There’s a pool bar out here, too.
For sit-down meals, there are two restaurants to choose from. The main one lays on huge breakfast spreads, as well as a fixed menu later in the day. There’s an à la carte eatery, too, where gourmet dishes are served against a backdrop of carved woodwork and detailed tapestries.
Finally, when it comes to getting out and about, there’s a courtesy bus that’ll take you into the heart of Funchal in about ten minutes.
Location• 3km to Funchal centre • 25km to airport
40 to 50 minutes
• Heated swimming pool • Sun terraces • Bar • Subtropical gardens
• Dining room serving buffet breakfast and table d'hôte dinner • A la carte restaurant in the manor house • Snack bar • Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve gala dinners included • Flexible dining - On a 7 night holiday you can choose to have Half Board for 3 or 5 days and on a 14 night holiday choose Half Board for 3, 5 or 7 days - supplement payable
• Gym/fitness room • Sauna • Whirlpool bath • Tennis • Snooker table • 20% discount on green fees at the Palheiro and Santo da Serra golf courses
• 2 bars • 3 lounges • Piano music in table d'hôte restaurant and main bar most nights • Library/reading room
• Courtesy bus to Funchal: Mon-Fri and Sat morning
Luggage may be transported separately on the coach transfer
All rooms have twin beds or a double bed, 1 child bed, air-conditioning/central heating, cable TV, Wi-Fi, radio, phone, hairdryer, minibar, bathrobes, slippers and mineral water and flowers in room on arrival. Sole occupancy rooms, rooms with garden view and balcony and Superior rooms are also available.
From November 2013: Honeymoon offer: free room upgrade subject to availability in resort, sparkling wine, fruit in room on arrival and one free candlelit dinner-excluding drinks, for stays of at least 7 nights.
Extra Local Charges
Some facilities may incur extra local charges, please see the A-Z Guide