Quinta Jardins do Lago details
With colonial charm and traditional good looks, this place offers up a peek into Madeira's past.
You know a hotel is special when a general used to live within its four walls. General Beresford, commander of the British forces in Madeira during the Napoleonic Wars, called this place home back in the 19th-century. Fast forward to today and the grand mansion has been cleverly converted into one of the island’s most exclusive hotels.
All whitewashed walls, red roofs and thick wooden shutters, it’s the picture of colonial elegance. Step inside, and things continue in the same vein. A large dining room comes complete with gold-framed pictures and a chandelier centrepiece. And there’s a cosy lounge lined with book cabinets and period furniture.
The rooms, meanwhile, have taken a more pared-down approach. White walls provide a blank canvas for wooden furniture and deep red and green soft furnishings. And marble bathrooms have a minimalist feel to them. In terms of mod-cons, expect to find air-conditioning, satellite TVs and Wi-Fi.
Step outside and the first thing you’ll notice is all the greenery. The gardens are filled with more than 500 species of plants and trees, dotted among manicured lawns. There’s a big swimming pool, too, and spacious terraces that look out to sea.
As for dining, there’s a fine restaurant featuring Madeiran specialities made from the best local ingredients.
Location• 1.5km to Funchal • 14.3km to the airport
30 minutes to 1 hour
• Swimming pool • Sunbeds • Parasols
• Buffet breakfast in The Pink Room • The Beresford restaurant for Madeiran specialities and international cuisine • Colombo Bistro by the pool • Flexible Dining: 7 night stays can choose to have Half Board for 3 or 5 days and 14 night stays can choose Half Board for 3, 5 or 7 days • Christmas Eve and New Year gala dinners included.
• Well-equipped gym, sauna, whirlpool and Turkish bath • Croquet • Games • Pool table • 30% discount at both Madeira Golf Clubs with free transportation - the 30% discount is arranged by the golf courses and is subject to availability • Table tennis
• Live music 2 nights per week • O Visconde bar in the main lounge • TV room
• Children's pool • Unsupervised children's area on the 4th floor with TV, pool table and table football • Playground • Children under 8 years old can dine in the Pink Room for high tea 17.00-18.30 and dinner 19.00-22.00
• Wi-Fi • Library • Laundry
Children under 8 yrs are not permitted to dine in The Beresford restaurant
High tea is served in The Pink Room with a special children's menu, 17.00-18.30 or 19.00-22.00
All rooms have air-conditioning, satellite LED TV, hairdryer, internet, minibar, sitting area, tea and coffee facilities, marble bathroom with bathrobes and Pascal Morabito toiletries, a balcony and garden view.
We also offer Superior twin rooms.
Superior twin rooms sleep up to 3 people and have free Wi-Fi, tea and coffee facilities, a balcony and garden view.
Honeymoons and Anniversaries: free candlelit dinner in the Beresford Restaurant, sparkling wine, fruit and flowers on arrival and a room upgrade - subject to availability. A marriage certificate must be provided to qualify - offer only valid on stays of over 7 nights & up 30 days after wedding date.
Repeat guests get a bottle of champagne, dinner for 2, flowers, fruit and a room upgrade - subject to availability. Only valid for stays of over 7 nights.
Golfers get 30% discount on green fees and free transport to the courses.
Courtesy minibus to Funchal, 4 times a day - excluding weekends and bank holidays.
Free use of sauna, whirlpool, Turkish bath, gym and games room.
Extra Local Charges
Some facilities may incur extra local charges, please see the A-Z Guide