Hotel Porto Mare details
Gazing over the Atlantic between exotic palms, this elegant retreat packs a lot into a special setting.
This hotel has cherry-picked one of Funchal’s finest spots. It hugs the seafront. What’s more, it’s a fairly easy walk along the promenade into the centre - just 30 minutes or less. Otherwise, the hotel runs a regular shuttle bus.
As to the hotel itself, it’s a picture of elegance. And not in a paint-by-numbers way. It’s one of a trio in the Vila Porto Mare resort and, like the others, has its own individual flavour. Step inside and you’re met with a stately marbled lobby studded with giant urns and floor-to-ceiling windows. Just off here, there’s a sofa-filled salon and chic bar with leather chairs and parlour plants.
The bedrooms capture the hotel’s mood perfectly as well. Decorated in soft shades with light-wood furnishings, they tread the line nicely between plush and understated.
All this said though, it’s probably the gardens that set the Porto Mare apart. Awash with lush palms and sub-tropical greenery, they’re threaded with pathways and lawns. In the heart of everything is the lagoon pool, framed by parasols and a red-roofed pool bar.
On top of all this you’ve got free rein to use the resort’s other facilities. There are three other pools, including an indoor-come-outdoor number and a hi-tech spa. And inside the other hotels and along the seafront, you’ll find three à la carte restaurants, too. You may be content with just the Porto Mare’s own buffet. With a terrace perched inches above the pool, it hits the spot for fresh-air breakfasts and suppers.
Location• 100m to cafés and restaurants • 200m to nearest supermarket • 2.5km to Funchal resort centre - local bus service • Within walking distance to the pebble beach at Praia Formosa
1 hour 15 minutes
• Lagoon swimming pool • Bar service to pool • Sun terrace • Gardens • Indoor pool • Sunbeds
• Alfana Restaurant serves buffet breakfast and à la carte lunch and dinner • Il Basilico Italian Restaurant offers à la carte lunch and dinner • Restaurant Med is open for à la carte evening meals • Show cooking • Themed evenings • Christmas Eve and New Year gala dinners • Half Board guests may dine in the à la carte restaurants and receive credit towards meals • Flexible dining option available: 7 nights Half Board on 14 night holidays and 3 nights Half Board on 7 night holidays. Meals can be taken on any day. Please contact our pre-travel team to add a flexible dining package to your booking
• Gym • Sauna • Massage • Whirlpool bath • Table tennis • Tennis • Minigolf • Putting green • Golf practice net • Pétanque • Spa with treatment rooms at Vila Porto Mare • Scuba diving at Cliff Bay Hotel, separately managed
• Lounge bar • Piano bar • TV room
• Children's pool • Children's activities • Playroom • Playground • Children's menu • Cots • Highchairs
Supermarket at Eden Mar shopping centre
Luggage may be transported separately on the coach transfer
All rooms have air-conditioning, LCD flatscreen TV, cable, DVD player, iPod dock, phone, minibar, tea and coffee facilities, bathrobes and hairdryer. Standard rooms have 2 beds and a pull-out bed as required. If rooms are fully occupied there is no cot space. Sea-view rooms available.
We also offer Superior rooms and Junior suites.
Superior rooms have more space plus bathrobes and a sea view.
Junior suites have 2 queen-size beds, bathrobes, living room with a sofa, dining area, kitchenette with fridge, 2 electric rings and tea/coffee facilities.
Golf discounts: From 1 Jun-30 Sep, 7 green fees for the price of 3 at the Palheiro golf course, discount on green fees at Palheiro and Santa da Serra courses and guaranteed tee-off times at Palheiro.
For honeymooners and those celebrating Silver/Gold wedding anniversaries: Sparkling wine, flowers and free room upgrade - subject to availability.
Extra Local Charges
Some facilities may incur extra local charges, please see the A-Z Guide