Reid's Palace details
Follow in the footsteps of Sir Winston Churchill and check in to Madeira’s famous Reid's Palace.
When a hotel boasts a Prime Minister and a Nobel Prize-winning author among its past guests, you know you’re in for something special. Sir Winston Churchill set up camp here while writing his war memoirs, and Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw regularly checked in when he fancied a break. The place has been Madeira’s number one hotel for more than a century, and these days it’s as impressive as ever.
Take the setting, for instance. Perched on rugged cliffs that plunge down to the Atlantic, and surrounded by ten acres of subtropical gardens, the attractive whitewashed hotel is in a really peaceful spot. Outside, three big swimming pools take pride of place. One is just footsteps from the sea, while the others offer up fantastic views from their raised positions.
Elsewhere, you’ll find the spa. It features a sauna and a steam room, and five cabins for the likes of body massages and reflexology.
Another great thing about this place is it’s geared up for the children, too – in fact, half the guests here last year were families. As well as a FUN@KIDS playground area with swimming pool for children from 3 to 9 years, there's a FUN@TEENAGERS zone equipped with computers and videogame consoles.
The restaurants also do a good job of catering for the little ones. The main eatery opens early for children, and offers up a special menu. Everyone else, meanwhile, can look forward to Mediterranean dishes made from the best local ingredients. And when you fancy a change of scenery, there are four other restaurants to check out. What’s more, every Tuesday a dinner dance is held in the dining room. And on Saturdays, there are champagne gala buffets to look forward to - don't forget your jacket and tie.
Completing the hotel’s impressive line-up are the rooms. Traditional wooden furniture and patterned soft furnishings give them an elegant vibe, while high-speed internet access and satellite TVs add a modern touch.
The hotel is part of Orient-Express and a member of Leading Hotels of the World. The more active can enjoy watersports, tennis, golf and mountain walks.
Location• Set on cliffs overlooking the Atlantic ocean • 2km to Funchal centre
40 to 50 minutes
• 2 heated swimming pools, 1 saltwater • Sea-level pool and bathing jetty, reached via lift or stairs • Terraces
• 'Garden Room' restaurant for buffet breakfast with fresh juices and champagne • Half Board upgrades have choice of a 3-course à la carte menu from 1 of Reid's restaurants • 'Les Faunes' gourmet restaurant with views of Funchal bay and harbour • Champagne gala buffet and dinner dance or poolside gala buffet depending on season • Edwardian-style events in 'The Dining Room' restaurant weekly • 'Brisa do Mar' al fresco restaurant - seasonal • 'Villa Cipriani' Italian restaurant • Pool terrace restaurant for buffet lunch and snacks • The following dining options are available to book on arrival: • Afternoon tea at Reid's served on the terrace overlooking the gardens • Manager's cocktail party • Reid's Palace moonlight dinner - dine in seclusion with a choice of 5 different locations in the gardens • Christmas and New Year gala meals included
• 2 tennis courts • Table tennis • Deep sea fishing, in summer • Massage • Gym • Sauna • Spa facilities • 30% discount on green fees and guaranteed starting times at the Palheiro and Santo da Serra courses - free transport to Palheiro, subject to availability
• Daily activity programme • Dancing to live music • Lounges • Cocktail bar with live entertainment • Bridge room • Snooker room
• Hotel-run supervised children's activity programme • Fun at Reid's house with a children's pool, extended outdoor playground, Wendy house, TV with DVD, computer/electronic games, traditional games and toys • Teen room with Playstations®, Wii stations, plasma TVs and internet facilities • Children's bathrobes, slippers and toiletries • Children's menu in the 'Villa Cipriani', pool restaurant & room service • Early meal sitting at the 'Villa Cipriani'
• Shop • Hairdresser • Courtesy bus to centre
Luggage may be transported separately on the coach transfer
All rooms have air-conditioning, cable TV, DVD, telephone, internet, soft drinks in the minibar, 24 hour room service, complimentary shoe cleaning service, balcony and have a sea view. Classic rooms are standard rooms sleeping 2 with twin beds and extend to 20 square metres.
We also offer Superior rooms, Deluxe rooms, Classic interconnecting rooms and Deluxe interconnecting rooms.
Superior rooms sleep up to 3 with twin beds, an extra bed, space for a cot and extend to 26 square metres.
Deluxe rooms sleep up to 3 with twin beds, an extra bed and extend to 31 square metres.
Classic interconnecting rooms sleep 2 with twin beds and an extra bed - you'll need to book 2 of these room types to get 2 rooms with a connecting door.
Deluxe interconnecting rooms sleep up to 3 with twin beds and an extra bed - you'll need to book 2 of these room types to get 2 rooms with a connecting door.
5 Star Deluxe
Honeymoons get sparkling wine and flowers on arrival. Anniversaries get sparkling wine on arrival and a room upgrade, subject to availability.
Free room upgrade from Classic to Superior and from Superior to Deluxe for stays between 1st November 2013 - 28th December 2013 and 6th January 2014 - 28th February 2014
Extra Local Charges
Some facilities may incur extra local charges, please see the A-Z Guide